How did I make the contribution graph in my Github account completely green?

Since I started using LinkedIn often about 1 year ago, I have seen celebration posts from programmers having completed a whole year of daily contributions on Github. All of them displayed a picture of the previous year's contribution grid completely green (like mine shown above). They impressed me and I have shown them my support and admiration for their perseverance and hard work. It even crossed my mind the idea of trying it myself, but I never did it since I have a lot of work (with several commits per day in private repositories). The few hours I have left, I spend it with my beautiful family. It's not an excuse, I would like to contribute more to the open source community when I get a regular 8 hours a day job.


Yesterday I thought a bit about people’s motivation to do such things. I think some of them just do it to impress, rather than to contribute or learn. Perhaps someone can do a completely irrelevant commit every day for a year to achieve their goal to impress and that really isn’t worthy of praise. It occurred to me that I might be able to do it automatically and demonstrate that the system has breaches that can be exploited by unscrupulous people.


Want to know the most amazing thing? Only took me ONE HOUR to do it. See below how to do it:

1. Create a public repository on Github (joke-github)

2. Clone it

3. Create a bash script that makes changes to a text file and performs commits.

The script must modify the creation date of each commit to cover the last 365 days and must perform a random number (between 1 and 5) of commits for each day of the year to make the grid different shades of green. Finally, push the branch and voilà, the grid is as in the image. The system has been beaten.


Personally, I will never trust the grid again!!!!! Lol


Below, find the script with comments to entertain you. Please, if you use it delete the repository, recruiters are already alerted.


To the recruiters: If someone has a very green grid check the commits 😉


To the honest programmers: Thank you for your contributions, every minute spent helps the community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to draw a text in the Github contribution grid?

How to build REST API fast with almost no knowledge of vert.x and without plumbing code